Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN Studded screed panel for use outdoors
Planning to build a patio? We recommend a tile or natural stone covering with Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN as an underlay. The studded screed panel delivers a crack-free, non-buckling covering by reducing shearing tensions of the screed in the modular studded membrane pattern, and also helps with patio drainage. With our system, we continue to guarantee short construction times and material savings, and also offer you a five-year warranty.
General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN is a reliable covering assembly system for crack free and functionally safe screeds in outdoor areas with ceramic tile or natural stone coverings.
The system is based on the specially structured studded foil panel Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD with evenly spaced openings and interconnected drainage channels, which, depending on the construction, is either installed over a sloped waterproofing layer or over the Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS area drainage membrane. The geometry of the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD studded panel dictates a minimum screed layer thickness of 31 mm between and 8 mm above them.
The curing stresses that occur in the screed due to shrinkage are absorbed by the studded pattern. Tensions resulting from deformations can therefore not affect the entire area, and it is not necessary to install movement joints in the screed. Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN bonded drainage and uncoupling mat can be installed as soon as the cement screed is ready to bear weight. Tiles or natural stone can be installed directly on top of this layer.
This also applies to large format tiles (without format restrictions) made of ceramic material or natural stone.
Movement joints in the covering layer have to be created with Schlüter-DILEX according to industry standards.
Ceramic tiles or natural stone tiles may also be installed directly in the mortar bed. For this purpose, the installation screed is installed to a height of at least 8 mm over the studs of the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD studded panel, and the ceramic or natural stone tiles are set directly into the fresh mortar with a slurry coat. In this case, Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN is not needed.
- Stud diameter: approx. 65 mm
- Size of openings: approx. 50 mm
- Connections: The studded panels are connected by overlapping a row of studs and interlocking the panels together.
- Working area: 1.2 x 0.9 m = 1.08 m²
Panel height: 23 mm
- Packaging: 10 units/box = 10.8 m²
Box dimensions are approx. 1355 x 1020 x 195 cm.
Schlüter-Systems offers a five year warranty for the life of the covering assembly, provided all installation instructions were observed and the covering is used as intended. You can request a corresponding contract form.
The Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN system is designed to reduce shearing tensions in the screed within the grid of the studded panel. No construction reinforcement is required.
Water seeping into the covering assembly drains through the openings of the studded panel to the sloped waterproofing layer or drainage layer, flowing through the assembly's hollow chambers without creating any pressure.
The covering assembly built with the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN system is free of inherent stresses when in use, which means that buckling in the area can occur. This particularly applies to stresses resulting from temperature fluctuations that occur in exterior areas.
Joint free screed:
No expansion joints are needed in the screed since the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN system evenly distributes any shearing tension in the screed across the entire area.
Movement joints in the joint pattern of the tile or stone covering:
The Schlüter-BEKOTEC system allows for aligning the design of movement joints to the selected joint pattern of the covering for tile or paver coverings since expansion joints from the screed do not have to be continued into the top covering.
The applicable regulations for the placement and construction of movement joints in and around the tile field must be observed.
Short construction time:
The Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN uncoupling mat ensures that the screed created with the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN system is ready for covering with ceramic tiles, natural stone or agglomerate stone as soon as the screed is ready to bear weight.
Low construction height:
In comparison to conventional heated screeds according to DIN 18 560-2, the Schlüter-BEKOTEC system saves up to 20 mm in construction height.
Material and weight savings:
Assuming a base area of 100 m2, reducing the screed thickness by 20 mm saves 2.0 m3 of screed, which is the equivalent of approx. 4 metric tons. This advantage is also reflected in the static calculations.
Documented suitability for the defined purpose:
The trouble free functionality and suitability of the Schlüter®-BEKOTEC system has been documented in the test report of an accredited testing institute. In particular, the tests focused on the maximum traffic loads.
How to install this product
- Schlüter-BEKOTEC-DRAIN is installed over a sloped waterproofing layer.
- Adhere the 8 mm edge strip Schlüter®-BEKOTEC-BRS 808 KSF in places where the covering adjoins walls and other construction elements. The edge strip features an adhesive segment on the top and bottom for secure attachment. The adhesion on the substrate and the pre-tensioning of the integrated foil leg push the edge strip toward the wall.
- Install the Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS passive capillary area drainage membrane over the sloped waterproofing layer.
- Next, lay out the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD studded panels over the Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS area drainage membrane. Connect the Schlüter-BEKOTEC panels by overlapping a row of studs and make any necessary cuts at the joints.
Note: The Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD studded panels have interconnected drainage channels, but are not considered passive capillary drainage.
Installation with the thin-bed method
- Install a sufficient volume of cement screed with a maximum strength class of CT-C25-F4 (ZE 20) over the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD studded panel to achieve a coverage of at least 8 mm and no more than 25 mm over the studs. Ideally, the screed thickness over the studs should be between 8 mm and 15 mm. The flexural strength of the screed may not exceed F5.
Note: Protect the screed from direct sunlight. In addition, take the customary steps to protect the assembly from inclement weather.
- The Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN bonded drainage and uncoupling mat can be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations in product data sheet 6.2 as soon as the cement screed is ready to bear weight (as a general rule after approximately 24 hours).
Note: The screed may also be mixed from pervious mortar that meets the corresponding requirements. Depending on the mortar quality, the coverage over the studs may have to be higher than the minimum requirement of 8 mm.
- Ceramic tile or natural stone can then be installed directly on top of Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN, using the thin-bed method. Divide the covering above the uncoupling mat into fields, using movement joints in accordance with the applicable regulations. We recommend the Schlüter-DILEX-BWB or Schlüter-DILEX-KS movement joint profiles for creating movement joints (see product data sheets 4.6 or 4.8).
- Our corner movement profile Schlüter®-DILEX-EK, -RF, -EKE or -EF (see product data sheets) can be used as a flexible edge joint in floor to wall transition areas. Cut off the protruding part of the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-BRS edging strip in advance.
Installation in a mortar bed
- Place dabs of mortar for installing individual tiles or prepare a level mortar bed with the necessary thickness. Suitable pervious mortar may also be used. Depending on the mortar quality, the coverage over the studs may have to be higher than the minimum requirement of 8 mm.
- Place a contact layer on the underside of the covering material.
- Align the covering material and firmly set it into the fresh mortar bed.
Divide the covering into fields, using movement joints in accordance with the applicable regulations. We recommend the Schlüter-DILEX-BWB, Schlüter-DILEX-KS or Schlüter-DILEX-MP movement joint profiles (see product data sheets 4.6, 4.8 or 4.3) or an elastic joint for creating movement joints. Separate the mortar bed above the studs in the area of the movement joint.
- Install the Schlüter-DILEX-EK, Schlüter-DILEX-RF, Schlüter-DILEX-EKE or Schlüter-DILEX-EF corner movement profile as a flexible perimeter movement joint in the area of the floor-wall transition (see product data sheet). Cut off the protruding part of the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-BRS edging strip in advance.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD is made of high-impact structured polystyrene and is suited for use with conventionally applied cement screed.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 23 FD and Schlüter-BEKOTEC-BRS do not rot and require no special maintenance or care. Before and during the installation of the screed, the studded panel may need to be protected from mechanical damage with suitable measures, such as laying out timber boards.