Schlüter-TREP-S/-B Stair nosing profiles with replaceable tread
Schlüter-TREP-S/-B are aluminium or stainless steel stair nosing profiles with a replaceable tread made of slip-resistant thermoplastic material. They are available with a wide (TREP-B) or narrow (TREP-S) tread. Both variants provide reliable protection for the front edge of steps and significantly enhance the safety of stairs by increasing the visibility of step edges.
General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-TREP-S-E, -S and -B are special profiles for creating slip resistant and visually attractive stair nosings. They are suitable for use in areas subjected to heavy foot-traffic, such as offices or public buildings.
Schlüter-TREP-S-E, -S and -B feature a tread surface that can be replaced in case of damage or wear. All three profile types are approved for use in applications with a risk of slipping (BIA test certificate, slip resistance assessment group R 9).
Matching end caps are available as accessories. Schlüter-TREP-TAP provides a visual accentuation to the front edge of the stair riser.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-TREP-S-E / -S / -B according to the tile thickness.
- Align the covering material at the riser.
- Apply a suitable tile adhesive to the edge area above the step riser.
- Fill the hollow spaces on the underside of the profile with suitable tile adhesive.
Note for steps 3 and 4: In case of thicker adhesive layers in the edge area, it may be necessary to add sand to the dry-setting thin bed adhesive in accordance with manufacturer instructions or to use a medium bed mortar.
- Fully embed Schlüter-TREP-SE / -S / -B into the adhesive bed and align the profile in such a way that the front edge of the support profile is flush with the riser tile.
- Trowel additional setting material over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg and the tread of the stair step to ensure full coverage.
- Solidly embed the horizontal tiles and align them flush with the top edge of the profile. Full coverage must be obtained between the tile and the profile’s anchoring leg.
- A joint of approx. 2 mm should be left between the tile and the profile.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout.
- The front edge cover profile TREP-TAP can only be used in conjunction with TREP-S and -B, which have aluminium support profiles. The profile is either inserted laterally through the designated groove or snapped into place from below. Attach the back of Schlüter-TREP-TAP to the riser (e.g. with Schlüter-KERDI-FIX).
What this product is made from
Schlüter-TREP-SE is based on a V2A stainless steel support section (material 1.4301 = AISI 304), which is made from stainless steel strips in a rollforming process.
Schlüter-TREP-S and -B have aluminium support profiles. All three profile types include a tread insert consisting of a rigid PVC base section and a soft PVC slip resistant surface.
The tread width for TREP-SE / -S is 26 mm and 52 mm for Schlüter-TREP-B.
The support section includes a trapezoid perforated anchoring leg for securing the profile in the tile adhesive.
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of a proposed type of profile must be verified, based on anticipated chemical, mechanical and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-TREP-SE, with a support section made of stainless steel, is particularly well suited for application areas requiring resistance to chemicals and acids, in which alkaline exposure is anticipated, e.g. through the reaction of water with cementitious materials.
Schlüter-TREP-S and -B, with aluminium support sections, are resistant to the chemical stresses commonly encountered in tiled coverings on stairs. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and time of exposure) may result in corrosion. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material and that all cavities are filled to prevent the accumulation of alkaline water. The support sections and treads of TREP-SE, -S and -B differ in their thermal expansion.
Abutting profiles should therefore be aligned with the joints of the adjacent covering if necessary.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-TREP-SE / -S / -B requires no special maintenance or care. The tread insert can be replaced in case of damage or wear.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid.
Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of mortar residue.