Low-noise studded screed panel
Schlüter-BEKOTEC acts as an installation substrate for our BEKOTEC-THERM energy-saving floor heating system. It also guarantees a crack-free and functionally reliable floating screed as well as a shorter construction time and less material usage.
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN FTS is a studded screed panel designed to accommodate BEKOTEC-THERM-HR heating pipes with a diameter of 12 mm. It features built-in sound insulation (5 mm) for a reduction in impact sound of up to 25 db.
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-ENFGTS is a matching levelling panel used ahead of the heating circuit distributor. This facilitates the installation of the heating pipes in the distribution cabinet.
What this product does
The reliable Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS covering assembly technology is a system for crack-free and functionally safe floating screeds and heated screeds, with coverings made of ceramics, natural stone and other covering materials.
This floating system is installed directly on load-bearing, weight-distributing substrates, such as concrete, as well on existing wooden ceiling structures. The suitability of the substrate for heating purposes has to verified (movement joints, edge strips, etc.). The system is based on the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS studded screed panel with integrated 5 mm sound insulation, which is installed directly on the load-bearing substrate. An impact sound improvement of 25 dB in accordance with DIN EN ISO 717-2 has been measured for the system. The actual improvement offered by the respective assembly depends on the local conditions (structural design) and can deviate from this value. Therefore the measured test values do not always apply for the situation at the respective construction site. Reliable values can only be obtained by making direct measurements on site, taking into account the respective actual structural design. The geometry of the BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS studded panel dictates a minimum screed layer thickness of 26 mm between and 8 mm above the studs. The stud distances make it possible to clamp the heating pipes of the system, which have a 12 mm diameter, in a 50 mm grid to produce heated screed.
Since only a relatively small amount of screed has to be heated or cooled (with a coverage of 8 mm, approx. 52 kg/m² ≙ 26 l/m²), the floor heating system is easily adjustable and ideally suited for operation at low supply temperatures.
The curing stresses that occur in the screed due to shrinkage are absorbed by the studded pattern. Tensions resulting from deformations can therefore not affect the entire area, and it is not necessary to install movement joints in the screed. Once the cement screed is ready to support weight, the Schlüter-DITRA uncoupling mat (alternatively, Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN 4 or Schlüter-DITRA-HEAT) can be installed (gypsum-based screed ≤ 2 CM %). Ceramic tiles or natural stone can then be installed directly over this layer, using the thin-bed method. Movement joints in the covering layer have to be created with Schlüter-DILEX according to industry standards.
Cover materials that are not susceptible to cracking, such as parquet or carpeting, are installed directly over the screed as soon as it reaches the corresponding residual moisture level.
Further information can be found in our Technical Manual.
- Stud diameter: approx. 40 mm
Installation spacing: 50, 100, 150 mm, etc.
Diameter of system heating pipes: 12 mm
The studs have a cutback design to securely keep heating pipes in place without the need for clamps.
The studded panels are connected by overlapping a row of studs and clicking the panels together.
- Working area: 1.4 x 0.8 m = 1.12 m²
Panel height: 23 mm (incl. 5 mm sound insulation)
- Packaging: 10 units/box = 11.2 m²
Box dimensions are approx. 1500 x 855 x 185 cm.
Schlüter-Systems offers a five year warranty for the life of the covering assembly, provided all installation instructions were observed and the covering is used as intended.
The BEKOTEC system is designed to reduce shearing tensions of the screed within the grid of the studded panel. No construction reinforcement is required.
The covering assembly of the BEKOTEC system is free of inherent stresses. Consequently, no buckling can occur in the area. This applies in particular to stresses resulting from temperature fluctuations, e.g. in heated screeds.
Joint free screed:
No expansion joints are needed in the screed since the BEKOTEC system evenly distributes any shearing tension in the screed across the entire area.
Movement joints in the joint pattern of the tile or stone covering:
The BEKOTEC system allows for aligning the design of movement joints to the selected joint pattern of the covering for tile or paver coverings since expansion joints from the screed do not have to be continued into the top covering. The applicable regulations for the placement and construction of movement joints in and around the tile field must be observed.
Short construction time:
As soon as the screed produced with the Schlüter®-BEKOTEC system is able to support weight, coverings of ceramic tile, natural stone or artificial stone can be directly installed on top of the Schlüter®-DITRA membrane. Ceramic thermal comfort floors are ready for heating only seven days after the completion of the cover assembly.
With a screed coverage of 8 mm, only approx. 52 kg/m² ≙ 26 l/m² screed volume is needed. This advantage is also reflected in the static calculations.
Fast-responding floor heating system:
Compared to conventional heated screeds, cover assemblies installed with a Schlüter®-BEKOTEC-THERM ceramic thermal comfort floor react much faster to temperature changes, since the volume to be heated or cooled is much lower. This allows for operating the floor heating system in the low temperature range to save energy.
How to install this product
- Install Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS on a sufficiently weight-bearing and level substrate. Uneven sections must be levelled in advance.
- Adhere the 8 mm edge strip Schlüter®-BEKOTEC-BRS 808 KSF in places where the covering adjoins walls and other construction elements. The adhesive leg integrated into the edging strip features a self-adhesive strip on both sides for attachment. The edging strip is pressed toward the wall by the backing adhesion on the substrate and the pre-tensioning of the integrated foil leg. When the BEKOTEC studded panel is placed on top of the adhesive leg, the panel bonds with the substrate and flowing screed can no longer flow underneath the panel.
- The BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS studded panels must be precisely cut to size in the edge areas to avoid sound bridges. Snap the studded panels into the tapered connection studs at the edges to connect them (see picture).
In threshold areas and near distributor boxes, the Schlüter-BEKOTEC-ENFGTS smooth levelling panel may be used to simplify the pipe installation. It is installed below the studded panels and adhered with double-sided adhesive strips. It may be necessary to remove the sound insulation of the studded panel in transition areas for a precise fit. The Schlüter-BEKOTEC-ZRKL 10/12 self-adhesive pipe clamping strip enables precise pipe layout in these areas.
- Clamp the system pipes with a diameter of 12 mm between the cutback studs to create a Schlüter-BEKOTEC-THERM floor heating system. The spacing of the pipes must be determined based on the required heating output, as shown in the BEKOTEC heating diagrams.
- As part of the screed installation, fresh cement screed of screed quality CT-C25-F4, max. F5 or gypsum-based screed CA-C25-F4, max. F5 is installed with a minimum screed cover of 8 mm over the studded panels. The layer thickness can be partially increased to max. 20 mm for levelling. Suitable flowing screeds CAF/CTF with the corresponding specifications may be used as well. Observe the system approval for this application.
Note: Please contact our Technical Department in advance to discuss different screed properties for specific projects.
To prevent impact sound transmission between two rooms, separate the screed in the relevant places with the Schlüter-DILEX-DFP expansion joint profile.
- The Schlüter-DITRA uncoupling mat (alternatively, Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN 4 or Schlüter-DITRA-HEAT) can be installed in accordance with the installation instructions of product data sheets 6.1 (alternatively, 6.2 or 6.4) as soon as the screed is ready to bear weight. The uncoupling mat can be installed over gypsum-based screeds as soon as they have reached a residual moisture level of 2 CM % or less.
- Ceramic tile or natural stone coverings can then be installed directly on top of the uncoupling mat, using the thin-bed method. Divide the covering above the uncoupling mat into fields, using movement joints in accordance with the applicable regulations. We recommend the Schlüter-DILEX-BWB, Schlüter-DILEX-BWS, Schlüter-DILEX-KS or Schlüter-DILEX-AKWS profiles for creating the movement joints (see product data sheets 4.6 - 4.8 and 4.18).
- Install the Schlüter-DILEX-EK or Schlüter-DILEX-RF corner movement profile as a flexible perimeter movement joint in the area of the floor-wall transition (see product data sheet 4.14). Cut off the protruding part of the BEKOTEC-BRS 808 KSF edging strip in advance.
- If the BEKOTEC-THERM ceramic thermal comfort floor is to function as a floor heating system, the full covering assembly is ready for heating only seven days after completion. Start from a water temperature of 25 degrees C and increase the supply temperature by no more than 5 degrees C a day until the desired usage temperature has been reached.
- Covering materials that are not susceptible to cracking (e.g. parquet, carpet or vinyl coverings) can be installed without the uncoupling mat, directly on top of the BEKOTEC screed. The screed thickness must be adjusted to the relevant material thicknesses. In addition to the applicable installation guidelines, note the permissible residual moisture level of the screed for the selected covering material.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS with 5 mm sound insulation is made of impact-resistant structured polystyrene. The sound insulation fleece is made from a special textile blend. Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS is suited for use with conventionally applied cement or gypsum screeds as well as flowing screed.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BEKOTEC-EN 18 FTS and Schlüter-BEKOTEC-ENFG do not rot and require no special maintenance or care. Before and during the installation of the screed, the studded panel may need to be protected from mechanical damage with suitable measures, such as laying out timber boards.