General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-DILEX-AKWS is a maintenance free movement profile for ceramic tile and natural stone coverings subjected to moderate mechanical stresses.
DILEX-AKWS provides secure edge protection in coverings with heavy foot traffic or used by lightweight conveyor vehicles. The trapezoid perforated lateral anchoring legs of aluminium are connected with a 6 mm soft movement zone of thermoplastic elastomer. The side sections of the profile provide effective edge protection for the surface covering.
Consequently, the smaller width absorbs relatively limited movements; this should be taken into account when evaluating the requirements for a specific application.
DILEX-AKWS assists in reducing the transmission of impact sound in coverings.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-DILEX-AKWS according to tile thickness.
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where profile is to be installed, using a notched trowel.
- Press the perforated anchoring leg of DILEX-AKWS into the tile adhesive and align. The profile must align directly with expansion and movement joints in the substrate below.
- Trowel additional adhesive over the perforated anchoring leg. Trowel tile adhesive against the vertical anchoring legs at an angle.
- Solidly embed and align the tiles so that the tiled surface is flush with the top of the profile; the profile should not be higher than the tiled surface, but rather up to approx. 1 mm lower. Full coverage must be obtained at the profile area. Always adjoin the uncut tile edge to the profile.
- The tile is set laterally to the profile, which creates an evenly spaced joint of 1.5 mm.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-DILEX-AKWS comprises two lateral aluminium carrier profiles with perforated anchoring legs. The movement zone consists of soft thermoplastic rubber with inserts made of a harder material.
Material properties and areas of application
The suitability of a proposed profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical and/or other stresses.
The lateral aluminium anchoring legs are sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Since aluminium is sensitive to alkaline substances, exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and time of exposure) may result in corrosion (aluminium hydroxide formation). In addition, ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-DILEX-AKWS is resistant to fungi and bacteria and requires no special maintenance or care. The profile can be cleaned with regular household detergents when cleaning the tile covering.