Balcony edge support profile with drip lip
Schlüter-BARA-RTK is an edge profile with a drip lip for installation on an existing sloped screed for balconies and terraces. Tiles may either be installed with an overhang or finished with our elegant finishing profiles.
BARA-RTK also allows you to attach our Schlüter-BARIN gutter system.
What this product does
Schlüter-BARA-RTK is a finishing profile for the exposed edges of covering assemblies on balconies and terraces with finished sloped screeds.
The groove in the protruding bonding flange allows for using the Schlüter-JOLLY edge protection profile in the same colour as the balcony finishing profile.
BARA-RTK is installed in the edge area by adhering the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg with a dry setting thin-bed tile adhesive.
Schlüter-DITRA can be integrated as a bonded waterproofing assembly. Other options for waterproofing include trowel-applied bonded waterproofing compounds or waterproofing layers compliant with DIN 18531.
The front anchoring leg of BARA-RTK features a T-shaped proﬁle chamber at the bottom edge for attaching the gutter system Schlüter-BARIN.
The elongated openings in the BARIN gutter system allow for sloping the gutter assembly.
How to install this product
- As an edge finishing and gutter attachment profile (for Schlüter-BARIN), Schlüter-BARA-RTK is embedded into the thin-bed mortar setting material with the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg aligned at the edge of the screed. Completely cover the anchoring leg with mortar.
- Schlüter-DITRA must abut the profile edge. Apply the sealing band Schlüter-KERDI-KEBA to create the connection to the profile.
The sealing band must be adhered with an overlap of at least 5 cm over DITRA, covering the entire anchoring leg to the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange of BARA-RTK, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX. The tiles can then be applied directly using the thin-bed method, as specified in the installation instructions (see product data for Schlüter-DITRA). The tiles should be flush with the BARA-RTK edge lip in the edge area. If using the Schlüter-JOLLY finishing profile, apply tile adhesive on KERDI-KEBA and fully embed the profile in the adhesive.
- If using a trowel-applied waterproofing compound, integrate BARA-RTK into the waterproofing system by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area. Make sure to continue the waterproofing assembly over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange. Observe the manufacturer’s instructions for installing waterproof compounds.
- If using a waterproofing assembly according to DIN 18531, adhere BARA-RTK to the sloped screed by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area with a suitable tile adhesive. Apply a gradient layer in the transition area from the screed to the anchoring leg to avoid weakening the sloped screed near the edge. Make sure to continue the waterproofing assembly over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange and to seal it tightly in this area.
- In case of waterproofing assemblies in compliance with DIN 18531, the further structure of the covering either consists of applying a drainage membrane, followed by installing a load-distribution or gravel layer, or of stilted coverings constructed from large-scale pavers. The applicable regulations must be observed in both cases.
- Once the covering is fully installed, the gutter system can be attached to the BARA profile, using the supplied screws. The elongated openings allow for setting up a slope as needed.
Note: Prefabricated corners and connectors are available to create internal and external corners. Abut the profile ends of BARA-RTK with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors. If using a finishing profile, cut the connector at the predetermined breaking point and adhere it to the edge profile with the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
The applicable instructions and installation guidelines for the relevant covering assemblies must be observed. All utilised materials must be weather-resistant, waterproof and suitable for outdoor areas.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following material version:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
The coating of the aluminium profiles is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion.
In special cases, the suitability of Schlüter-BARA-RTK must be verified based on the anticipated chemical and mechanical stresses.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RTK requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is UV-resistant and colour-stable. Damaged visible surfaces can be restored with paint.