Structural movement proﬁle made of aluminium
Schlüter-DILEX-BTO is a structural movement proﬁle made of aluminium for floor to wall transitions. The lateral joint connection of the sliding middle section of the profile is able to absorb three dimensional movement.
- Foot traffic
- Shopping carts
- Pallet trucks
What this product does
Schlüter-DILEX-BT is a maintenance free structural movement proﬁle made of aluminium. The profile is designed for setting the lateral anchoring legs in the adhesive below ceramic tile or natural stone coverings or, when using other covering materials such as carpet or vinyl, for incorporating into the screed layer. This enables the profile to match the movements of the corresponding covering assembly. The sliding telescopic centre section is able to absorb movements of ± 5 mm. The lateral joints connections absorb three-dimensional movement.
DILEX-BT offers secure edge protection for coverings exposed to high foot and vehicular traffic and is, therefore, suited for use in warehouses, production facilities, shopping centres, airports, train stations, car parks or for floor surfaces maintained with cleaning machines. The profile variant Schlüter-DILEX-BTO is designed to create structural movement joints along walls. The profiles can also be installed in wall and ceiling surfaces made of gypsum plasterboard or in plastered and tiled surfaces.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-DILEX-BTO according to the tile thickness.
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where the tile covering will end, using a notched trowel.
- Press the perforated anchoring legs of DILEX-BTO into the tile adhesive and align.
- Trowel additional tile adhesive over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage.
- Firmly align the adjoining tiles in such a way that the upper profile edge is flush with the tile (profile should not protrude over the surface of the covering; preferably, it should be approx. 1 mm below the top level of the covering). Full coverage must be obtained between the tile and the profile’s anchoring leg. Always adjoin the uncut tile edge to the profile.
- The tile is set to the lateral joint spacer, which creates an evenly spaced joint of 1.5 mm.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout and immediately remove the protective foil.
- If installing the profile in a screed layer, start by creating mortar strips in a matching height and separated by an insulation strip on both sides of the structural movement joint.
- Then apply a contact layer of dry-set adhesive or a cement slurry to the mortar strips.
- Install DILEX-BTO on the contact layer, align it and tap it in place.
- Then install the screed such that the surface of the covering is flush with the upper edge of the profile. Select the profile height to ensure that the anchoring leg is covered by about 15 mm of screed.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following materials:
- A = aluminium
- AE = anodised aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
The suitability of a proposed profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-DILEX-BTO is made of aluminium and must be tested to verify its suitability if chemical exposure is expected. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Since aluminium is sensitive to alkaline substances, exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and time of exposure) may result in corrosion (aluminium hydroxide formation). Adhesive or grout residue must therefore be removed immediately from visible surfaces.
DILEX-BTO in the anodised aluminium version has an anodised surface finish that will not change under normal circumstances.
The surface, however, must be protected from abrasion. Tile adhesive, mortar and grout can scratch the surface of the profile; therefore, any residue must be removed immediately. Otherwise, the description regarding aluminium applies.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-DILEX-BTO requires no special maintenance or care. Oxidation films on aluminium may be removed with a common polishing agent; however, they do reoccur. Damage to the anodised surfaces can be restored with paint.