Balcony edge support profile with drip lip
Schlüter-BARA-RTKEG is an edge proﬁle with a drip lip for installation over finished sloped screeds. It is especially suited for assemblies with our bonded uncoupling membrane Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN. The closed outer edges give the exterior perimeter of tiled areas a neat appearance.
Our Schlüter-BARIN gutter system can be attached to BARA-RTKEG.
What this product does
Schlüter-BARA-RTKEG is a finishing profile for exposed edges of covering assemblies on balconies and terraces with existing sloped screeds.
BARA-RTKEG was designed for assemblies with the bonded uncoupling membrane Schlüter-DITRA. The closed outer edges give the exterior perimeter of tiled areas a neat appearance.
The front anchoring leg of BARA-RTK features a T-shaped proﬁle chamber at the bottom edge for attaching the gutter system Schlüter-BARIN.
The elongated holes in the Schlüter-BARIN gutter system allow for attaching the gutters at a slope.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-BARA-RTKEG according to the tile thickness.
- As an edge finishing and gutter attachment profile (for Schlüter-BARIN), BARA-RTKEG is embedded into the thin-bed mortar setting material with the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg aligned at the edge of the screed. Completely cover the anchoring leg with mortar.
- Install Schlüter-DITRA, abutting the anchoring leg. Apply the sealing band Schlüter-KERDI-KEBA to create the connection to the profile. The sealing tape must be adhered with an overlap of at least 5 mm over DITRA, covering the entire anchoring leg to the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange of BARA-RTKEG, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX. The tiles can then be applied directly using the thin-bed method, observing the installation instructions (see product data sheet for Schlüter-DITRA). Maintain a proper joint between the tiles and the anchoring leg of BARA-RTKEG, to be filled with elastomeric sealant.
- If using a trowel-applied waterproofing compound, integrate BARA-RTKEG into the waterproofing system by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area. Make sure to continue the waterproofing membrane over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange.
If using bonded waterproofing systems, observe the installation instructions of the respective manufacturer.
- Once the covering is fully installed, the gutter system can be attached to the BARA profile, using the supplied screws. The elongated openings allow for setting up a slope.
Prefabricated corner pieces are available to create internal and external corners. Abut the profile ends of BARA-RTKEG with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors, using the installation adhesive KERDI-FIX.
The applicable instructions and installation guidelines for the relevant covering assemblies must be observed.
All utilised materials must be weather-resistant, waterproof and suitable for outdoor areas.
What this product is made from
The profiles are available in the following material version:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
The coating of the aluminium profiles is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion.
In special cases, the suitability of Schlüter-BARA-RTKEG must be verified based on the anticipated chemical and mechanical stresses.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RTKEG requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is UV-resistant and colour-stable. Damaged visible surfaces can be restored with paint.