T-shaped finishing profile
Schlüter-BARA-RT is a T-shaped finishing profile made of colour-coated aluminium. The top leg of the profile covers the edge of the assembly while the lower leg forms a drip lip and hides the joint with the TROBA area drainage mat. The profile is ideal for your balconies and terraces with gravel layers, stilted constructions or bonded assemblies.
- Radius perforation
What this product does
In installations with self-supporting pavers on screed contact points or gravel/crushed stone beds, the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of Schlüter-BARA-RT is placed at the edge of the construction on top of the drainage membrane Schlüter-TROBA or Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS, where it is aligned vertically and horizontally. The vertical finishing leg provides a neat finishing edge for the complete assembly and allows for the drainage of water. The different profile heights from 9 to 65 mm accommodate a variety of edge formats.
The profile can also be used in conjunction with tile coverings. In this case, the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of the finishing profile BARA-RT is fully embedded in the tile adhesive and integrated into the bonded waterproofing assembly.
Alternatively, the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of BARA-RT can be fully embedded in the screed, which allows for installing the mortar bed flush with the upper edge of the profile. TROBA-PLUS must be installed as an area drainage membrane between the waterproofing layer and the screed to ensure that water cannot accumulate in the screed layer.
If Schlüter-DITRA is to be installed, the screed is levelled 3 mm below the top of the profile.
The profile creates a neat edge finish and covers the edge of tiles as well as any exposed screed.
Note: Schlüter-BARA-RHA is available as a height-adjustable ﬁnishing proﬁle made of colour-coated aluminium.
It is inserted into BARA-RT and is used to ﬁnish the exposed perimeters of balconies and terraces and to create a neat edge appearance.
How to install this product
Installation with self-supporting pavers on mortar contact points or gravel/crushed stone beds
- Select Schlüter-BARA-RT according to the thickness of the edge area to be covered. Prefabricated corners are available for external corners. Abut the profile ends with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors, using the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
- Embed the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of the angled edging profile BARA-RT in a contact point of thin screed on top of the previously installed drainage membrane, Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS, and align it horizontally and vertically. When installing over gravel, the Schlüter-TROBA drainage mat is installed first, followed by BARA-RT in the screed.
- When using BARA-RT as a gravel retaining edge, the gravel should reach just below the upper edge of the vertical profile leg, depending on the thickness of the covering. Now the concrete pavers are loosely installed on the levelled gravel bed.
- When installing on top of TROBA-PLUS with thin-bed moulding rings, Schlüter-TROBA-STELZ-DR, the BARA-RT finishing profile will cover the exposed edge of the assembly. The outside thin-bed contact points are positioned on the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of BARA-RT. The self-supporting pavers are then laid onto the contact points.
- When using the stilted construction with Schlüter-TROBA-STELZ-MR, the profile BARA-RT is integrated into the mortar point. The finishing profile covers the exposed edge of the cover assembly. The self supporting pavers are then installed on top of the stilted construction.
Note: A sufficiently large space for drainage must be provided to allow for unobstructed water drainage in the edge area of the cover assembly.
Installation in conjunction with tile coverings
- Select BARA-RT according to the thickness of the edge area to be covered. Prefabricated corners are available for external corners. Abut the profile ends with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors, using the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
- Embed the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of the edging profile BARA-RT on the edge of the screed or on the previously installed drainage mat DITRA-DRAIN by placing it into the contact layer of thin-set adhesive and trowel additional adhesive over the leg so that it is completely covered.
- If using Schlüter-DITRA, abut the edge of the membrane to the anchoring leg. The remaining joint between the Schlüter-DITRA and the profile is covered with Schlüter-KERDI-KEBA. The sealing band must be adhered with an overlap of at least 5 cm over DITRA and to the angled edge of BARA-RT, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
- The tiles are now installed, leaving a suitable space to the anchoring leg, which is to be filled with grout.
Installation in screed
- BARA-RT is attached at the desired level in the edge area on a layer of screed and aligned. Prefabricated corners are available for external corners. Abut the profile ends with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors, using the installation adhesive KERDI-FIX.
- A load-distribution layer is now formed by installing a screed mortar, which is sloped to end flush with the upper edge of the BARA-RT profile or lower, deducting the thickness of the tiles to be installed. A space of 3 mm below the upper edge of the profile must be left for the installation of the uncoupling and waterproofing membrane DITRA.
Note: Schlüter-TROBA or Schlüter-TROBA-PLUS should be installed between the waterproofing assembly and the screed as an area drainage.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following material version:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
Schlüter-BARA-RT is made of colour-coated aluminium. The coating of the aluminium profile is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion. The tile adhesive layer into which BARA-RT is embedded may not accumulate any water (full embedding), since alkaline water has a corrosive effect on aluminium.
In special cases, the suitability of BARA-RT must be verified based on the anticipated chemical and mechanical stresses.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RT requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is colourfast. Damaged visible surfaces can be restored with paint.