Stair nosing profile with protruding rounded edge
Schlüter-TREP-FL is a stair nosing proﬁle with protruding rounded edge made of aluminium or stainless steel in Florentine design for enhancing the safety and visual appeal of stair edges. It is designed for stairs with tile or natural stone coverings to protect the front edge of steps.
- Also available in 3 m
What this product does
Schlüter-TREP-FL is intended for use in residential or similarly used interior applications with low foot traffic. The profile is solidly embedded in the covering and cannot be replaced when it becomes worn (our stair-nosing profiles Schlüter-TREP-S and -B as well as Schlüter-TREP-G feature a replaceable tread).
Schlüter-TREP-FL protects the front edge of steps and enhances the safety of stairs by increasing the visibility of step edges. The aluminium profile has an additional slip-resistant surface. Matching end caps are available as accessories.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-TREP-FL according to the tile thickness.
- Set the covering material on the riser so that the top edge of the covering is at the correct height.
- Apply suitable tile adhesive along the edge area above the riser.
- Embed Schlüter-TREP-FL fully in the tile adhesive and align the profile in such a way that its overhanging edge is flush with the riser tile after applying adhesive.
- In the case of Schlüter-TREP-FL-AE, which is made of aluminium, the inner rounded cavity at the profile’s front edge must also be filled with suitable tile adhesive prior to installing the tiles.
- Completely cover the perforated anchoring leg and the tread area with tile adhesive.
- Solidly embed the horizontal tiles and align them flush with the top edge of the profile. All tiles in the profile area must be solidly embedded.
- A joint of approx. 2 mm should be left between the tile and the profile.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following finishes:
- E = stainless steel V2A, material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304
- EB = brushed stainless steel
- AE = anodised aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of the selected profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-TREP-FL is intended for use in residential or similarly used interior applications with low foot traffic. The information provided below is intended as a general guideline.
Schlüter-TREP-FL-AE, made of anodised aluminium, has an anodised surface finish that will not change under normal circumstances. The surface must be protected against abrasion. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline, which may result in corrosion depending on the concentration and length of exposure (aluminium hydroxide formation). Remove adhesive or grout immediately from visible areas and don't cover freshly installed assemblies with a protective foil. In addition, ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material to prevent water from accumulating in small cavities.
Schlüter-TREP-FL-E/-FL-EB is made of roll-formed stainless steel V2A (material no. 1.4301). The profile structure therefore
differs slightly from the appearance of the extruded aluminium versions.
Stainless steel is particularly well suited for applications that, in addition to heavy mechanical stresses, require resistance to chemicals such acidic or alkaline detergents. Even stainless steel is not resistant to all chemical stresses, and may be affected by hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations. In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore be verified in advance.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-TREP-FL requires no special maintenance or care.
Damaged anodised surfaces can be restored with paint.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner.
Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion.
All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid.
Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of adhesive and grout residue. We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.