Stainless steel stair nosing profile
Schlüter-TREP-E is a stainless steel stair nosing proﬁle with a special anti-slip tread to create safe and attractive stair treads. The profile can be integrated into stairs covered with tile or natural stone, as well as into a screed or surface coating that is a minimum 2 mm thick. The profile is especially suited for applications in building areas with heavy foot traffic, for example in commercial areas or public buildings.
In addition, TREP-E offers reliable protection for the edges of stairs and adds a high degree of safety due to the special slip resistant design of the tread (test certificate by the Institute for Occupational Safety (IFA), slip resistance classification group R10 V6) and the excellent visibility of step nosings. Matching end caps are available as accessories.
- Also available in 3 m
What this product does
Schlüter-TREP-E protects the front edges of stairs and adds a high degree of safety due to the special slip resistant design of the tread (test certificate by the Institute for Occupational Safety (IFA), slip resistance classification group R10 V6) and the excellent visibility of the step nosings. Matching end caps are available as accessories.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-TREP-E according to the tile thickness.
- Align the covering material at the riser.
- Apply a suitable tile adhesive to the edge area above the riser.
- Fill the hollow spaces on the underside of the profile with suitable tile adhesive.
Note for step 3 and 4: In case of thicker adhesive layers in the edge area, it may be necessary to add sand to the dry-setting tile adhesive in accordance with manufacturer instructions or to use a medium bed mortar.
- Fully embed Schlüter-TREP-E into the adhesive bed and align the profile in such a way that its front edge covers the riser tile or is flush with its edge.
- Completely cover the perforated anchoring leg and the tread area with tile adhesive.
- Solidly embed the horizontal tiles and align them flush with the top edge of the profile. Full coverage must be obtained between the tile and the profile’s anchoring leg.
- A joint of approx. 2 mm should be left between the tile and the profile.
- Completely fill the space between the tiles and the profile with grout.
- When integrating Schlüter-TREP-E into screed layers, fully embed the profile in the mortar and cover the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg with at least 15 mm of screed mortar.
- When using surface coatings, Schlüter-TREP-E is adhered to the edge of the stair tread and adjusted in such a way that the front edge of the profile is flush with the riser. The trapezoid perforated anchoring leg is covered completely with the surface coating, so that the finished surface is flush with the profile. The profiles may need to be cleaned and degreased prior to installation.
As an alternative, the profile can also be installed flush with the edge of the riser tile as shown in the drawing “Installation variant for Schlüter-TREP-E" on the data sheet (available on the Downloads tab).
What this product is made from
Schlüter-TREP-E is available in the following materials:
- E = stainless steel
- V2A, material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304
- V4A, material no. 1.4404 = AISI 316L
Material properties and areas of application
The suitability of a proposed type of profile must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-TREP-E is particularly well suited for applications that, in addition to heavy mechanical stresses, require resistance to chemicals such acidic or alkaline media and detergents. Depending on the anticipated stresses, you can choose between the alloy materials V2A (material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304) or V4A (material no. 1.4404 = AISO 316L). The use of V4A is recommended if consistent exposure is expected, for example in the case of swimming pools (fresh water). Even stainless steel is not resistant to all chemical stresses, and may be affected by hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations. In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore be verified in advance.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
The profiles require no special maintenance or care.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid.
Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of adhesive and grout residue. We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.