Schlüter-DILEX-HKU Stainless steel cove shaped profile
Schlüter-DILEX-HKU is a cove shaped profile entirely made of stainless steel for internal wall corners and floor wall transitions with stringent hygiene requirements. Due to its inner anchoring leg, the profile can be variably used for different tile thicknesses.
General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-DILEX-HKU is a cove shaped stainless steel profile for internal corners of ceramic or natural stone wall surfaces. In bonded assemblies, DILEX-HKU can also be used at floor-wall transitions.
Due to its inner anchoring leg, the profile HKU 10 can be variably used for tile thicknesses from 6 mm and HKU 36 from 10 mm. The cove shaped DILEX HKU is available in two versions with a radius of 10 or 36 mm.
DILEX-HKU is especially suitable for hospitals, industrial kitchens, clean rooms, washrooms and food processing plants where aesthetic appeal is desired in addition to suitability for stringent cleaning protocols.
Matching connectors and end caps are available to create elegant connections of the profile to internal and external corners.
How to install this product
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where the profile is to be installed, using a notched trowel.
- Press the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of the profile firmly into the adhesive and align it.
In case of thicker coverings, fill the area behind the anchoring leg with suitable material.
- Profile joints as well as internal and external corners must be covered with the appropriate pre-fabricated components, using Schlüter-KERDI-FIX (see product data sheet 8.3). Prior to the application, any substances which may inhibit bonding, such as grease, etc have to be removed. The pre-fabricated components should overlap the profiles by at least 10 mm. An inside connector made of styrene is available for DILEX_HKU 36 to simplify the alignment and stability during the installation.
- The tiles adjoining the profile must be solidly embedded into the adhesive bed and aligned flush with the upper profile edge. The minimum tile thickness for DILEX-HKU 10 is 6 mm, and for DILEX-HKU 36, 10 mm.
- A joint of approx. 2 mm should be left between the tile and the profile. Fill the joint completely with grout.
- Then remove the protective foil.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following materials:
- E = stainless steel
- V2A, material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304
- V4A material no. 1.4404 = AISI 316L
- EB = brushed stainless steel
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of the profile must be verified, based on the anticipated chemical or mechanical stresses. The information provided below is intended as a general guideline.
The profile is made of stainless steel V2A (material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304) or V4A (material no. 14404 = AISI 316), produced in a rollforming process, and features trapezoid perforations in the anchoring legs. The visible surfaces of the profile are covered with a protective foil. The profile is highly durable and especially suited for application areas that must be resistant to chemicals and acids, such as the food industry, breweries, dairies, industrial kitchens, and hospitals as well as residential areas.
Depending on the anticipated chemical stresses, customers can choose between the alloy materials 1.4301 (V2A) or 1.4404 (V4A). The use of V4A is recommended if consistent exposure is expected, for example in the case of swimming pools (fresh water). Even stainless steel of quality 1.4404 is not resistant to all chemical stresses such as hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations. In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore always be verified in advance.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
The profile requires no special maintenance or care. The profile can be cleaned along with the covering, using suitable detergents. To obtain a bright finish on the exposed surface of the profile, use a chrome polishing agent or similar. Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning not only maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel, but also reduces the risk of corrosion.
All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. Avoid the contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of mortar residue. We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.