Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB Movement joint profile with edge protection
Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB is a movement joint proﬁle with edge protection for floor coatings and other thin floor coverings. It consists of lateral stainless steel anchoring legs that are connected to a fixed movement zone of soft synthetic material.
- Foot traffic
- Shopping carts
- Trucks (max. weight 40 t)
- Lift trucks
General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB is a maintenance free movement joint profile for tile, natural stone and surface coatings subjected to high mechanical stresses.
DILEX-EKSB offers secure edge protection for surfaces exposed to continuous vehicular traffic and is, therefore, suited for use in warehouses, production facilities, shopping centres and car parks, or for floor surfaces maintained with cleaning machines. The trapezoid perforated lateral attachment profiles of stainless steel are connected with an 11 mm or 6 mm soft movement zone of thermoplastic elastomer. The profile’s rubber insert is replaceable in case of damage (not applicable to profile heights 2.5, 4.5 and 6 mm). The side sections of the profile provide effective edge protection for the surface covering.
DILEX-EKSB assists in reducing the transmission of impact sound in coverings.
How to install this product
Installation for tile and natural stone surfaces:
- Select Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB according to the tile thickness.
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where profile is to be installed, using a notched trowel.
- Press the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of DILEX-EKSB firmly into the adhesive and align it. The profile must align directly with expansion and movement joints in the substrate below.
- Trowel tile adhesive over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage. Trowel tile adhesive against the vertical anchoring legs at an angle.
- Firmly press the adjoining tiles into place and align them in such a way that the upper profile edge is flush with the tile (profile should not protrude over the surface of the covering; preferably, it should be approx. 1 mm below the top level of the covering). All tiles in the profile area must be solidly embedded. Always adjoin the uncut tile edge to the profile.
- Leave a 2 mm joint to the profile, and completely fill the joint between the profile and the tile with grout.
- When creating cross joints, trim the profiles to ensure that the trapezoid perforated anchoring legs do not overlap in installation.
The tile inserts DILEX-KS/-K are available in all colours for neat joint appearance.
Installation for coatings:
- Select DILEX-EKSB according to the thickness of the covering.
- Apply a contact layer in the area where profile is to be installed.
- Press the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of DILEX-EKSB firmly into the adhesive and align it. The profiles may need to be cleaned and degreased prior to installation. The profile must align directly with expansion and movement joints in the substrate below.
- Trowel coating material over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg. The finished surface coating should be flush with the upper edge of the profile. Note: The profile should not be higher than the coating surface but flush or up to approx. 1 mm lower.
What this product is made from
The profiles are available in the following material versions:
- E = stainless steel
V2A, material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304
V4A material no. 1.4404 = AISI 316L
The movement zone consists of highly flexible thermoplastic rubber with inserts made of a harder material.
Material properties and areas of application
The suitability of the selected profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses. Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB with stainless steel support profiles made of material no. 1.4301 (V2A) or 1.4404 (V4A) are especially suitable for applications which, in addition to high mechanical durability, require resistance to chemical stresses from sources such as acidic or alkaline media, cleaning detergents, or de-icing salt. Depending on the anticipated chemical stresses, customers can choose between the alloy materials 1.4301 (V2A) or 1.4404 (V4A). The use of V4A is recommended if consistent exposure is expected, for example in the case of swimming pools (fresh water). Even stainless steel of quality 1.4404 is not resistant to all chemical stresses such as hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations. In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore always be verified in advance.
The movement zones of DILEX-EKSB consist of highly flexible thermoplastic rubber. This material is UV-resistant, suitable for outdoor use, and resistant to the chemical stresses typically associated with tile coverings and has been specially treated to resist fungi and bacteria.
The insert is resistant to temperatures ranging from -60 °C to +100 °C. The synthetic rubber can be heat bonded to extend the profile length.
The tile inserts DILEX-KS/K are available in all colours for cross joints created with the movement profiles DILEX-KS.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-DILEX-EKSB are resistant to fungi and bacteria, and require no special maintenance or care.
The flexible movement zone of synthetic rubber is not exchangeable.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion.
All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of mortar residue.
We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.