Waterproofing set for standard-compliant door openings
Is your shower located close to a door? Then it is especially important to protect the adjoining interior spaces against moisture. No matter whether you prefer a barrier-free solution with a tile covering of the same height or a height transition with tiles installed at a slope of no more than 6%: Waterproofing with KERDI-CID offers an effective solution in both cases by creating a capillary break in the floor area to prevent water from spreading below floor coverings.
For your convenience: We have developed two sets to match door opening arrangements either into the bathroom or into adjoining spaces. KERDI-CID sets comply with the requirements of DIN 18534 and have a general technical approval (abP) in Germany. Please note that you will need the two-component sealing adhesive KERDI-COLL for secure attachment.
- Schlüter-SCHIENE profile that can be individually cut to size, with pre-adhered KERDI-KEBA sealing tape
- Prefabricated KERDI-KERECK pieces (depending on the door opening arrangement)
What this product does
Schlüter-KERDI-CID is a multi-component waterproofing system for creating a standard-compliant capillary break in waterproofing assemblies around door thresholds in conjunction with ceramic tiles or natural stone. The sets include the stainless steel profile Schlüter-SCHIENE-E with a pre-adhered polyethylene sealing band and prefabricated Schlüter-KERDI-KERECK corner pieces to match the relevant installation situation or door opening configuration. The correct installation of KERDI-CID creates a capillary break that prevents water from spreading below floor coverings that adjoin the tiles. Schlüter-KERDI-CID was developed as a connection seal for tile and natural stone coverings and has been tested in combination with Schlüter waterproofing systems according to the principles of German general technical approval (abP). The product is included as a system component in the approval certificates for Schlüter-KERDI 200, -DITRA, -DITRA-HEAT/-DUO and -KERDI-BOARD. KERDI-CID therefore meets the requirements of DIN 18534.
How to install this product
1. The substrate must be properly waterproofed in advance, using a suitable bonded waterproofing system of Schlüter. Any required levelling work, e.g. a threshold in the door transition area, must be installed prior to waterproofing.
2. Select the profile height (H = inside height above the sealing band) according to the tile thickness and the installation method.
3. Cut the profile to the desired length. It is best to make an incision in the sealing band with a sharp utility knife approx. 2 mm from the actual cutting edge and to then cut the profile to size with an angle grinder or a handsaw.
4. Apply Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L on the waterproofing surface in the place where the capillary break is to be installed. Fully embed the profile and the sealing band in the fresh sealing adhesive and align them.
5. Use the prefabricated KERDI corners to create connections to adjoining structural elements. Cut the corners to match the profile height before applying adhesive.
6. The corners can be fully embedded on the waterproofing assembly and on the stainless steel profile with either KERDI COLL-L or KERDI-FIX.
7. The covering can be installed as soon as the bonded waterproofing assembly is tightly sealed at all overlaps, corners and joints. No curing time is required.
8. To install the tiles, apply dry setting thin-bed tile adhesive directly on the waterproofing membrane. Embed the adjoining tiles as much as possible and align them in such a way that the upper lip of the profile is flush with the tile. Note: The profile may slightly protrude or be recessed in the wall area to offset dimensional variations in the covering material. The profile should not protrude over the surface of the covering; preferably, it should be approx. 1 mm below the top level of the covering.
9. Leave a joint of approx. 1.5 mm between the adjoining tile and the profile.
10. Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout.
11. Completely fill the space between the profile and the adjoining floor covering with an elastic filler compound.
What this product is made from
The profiles are made of roll formed stainless steel V4A (material no. 1.4404 = AISI 316L). The anchoring leg without perforations serves as a bonding flange that features a pre-adhered sealing band made of soft polyethylene with a special fleece fabric laminated on both sides.
Material properties and areas of application
KERDI-CID is waterproof and resistant to any chemical stresses that typically occur in conjunction with tiled coverings. The KERDI-CID polyethylene sealing band is resistant to ageing, does not rot and is characterised by its elasticity. Resistance to chemical stresses beyond standard domestic cleaning agents should be verified separately. Even stainless steel of quality 1.4404 is not resistant to all chemical stresses. Substances such as hydrochloric or hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations may cause damage. The anticipated chemical stresses should therefore be verified in advance.