Drainage system for linear floor level showers
Schlüter-KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H is a linear drainage system for tiled showers which can be installed in the intermediate position or at the edge of a shower. Two drainage profiles, KERDI-LINE-VARIO-COVE and WAVE, are available for use with KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H.
Our Schlüter-KERDI-LINE-VARIO system has been recognised with the renowned Red Dot Award for Product Design in 2021 in the Bathroom and Sanitary Equipment category. The award went to the combination of the KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H drain with the WAVE drainage profile.
What this product does
Schlüter-KERDI-LINE-VARIO is a flexible, multi-piece, linear drainage system for creating floor level showers with ceramic tiles or natural stone.
The two-piece horizontal KERDI-LINE-VARIO drain unit comprises a drain body and a drain adapter. The drain body consists of an ultra slim, wave-shaped drain that is rotatable by 360° and a built-in odour trap. The wave-shaped design achieves a high flow rate within the floor drain, which results in a self-cleaning effect.
The sound insulation membrane included in the set reliably prevents specific sound transmission of the drain body to the surrounding wall or floor structures and serves as a positioning aid for direct installation in a wall.
To guarantee an especially low assembly height, the drain adapter of KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H40 with integrated Schlüter-KERDI-FLEX collar comes fully inserted into the sealed wave-shaped drain and is secured with a clamping ring. The wave-shaped drain can be rotated by 360° when the clamping ring is released, which makes the drainage system adaptable to any connection configuration in the existing building.
The drain adapter of KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H50 can be individually cut to size to match the structural requirements on site.
The KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H set includes:
- Flat drain body with odour trap
- Drain adapter with integrated waterproofing collar and wave-shaped drain rotatable by 360
- Clamping ring
- Adapter DN 40/DN 50
- Protective lid for simple seal check
- Water inspection nozzle
- Corner seal
- Folding sound insulation element
- Spirit level to level the assembly
- Cleaning brushes, although the wave-shaped drain assembly prevents the accumulation of debris
Two design drainage profiles are available for KERDI-LINE-VARIO: KERDI-LINE-VARIO-COVE and KERDI-LINE-VARIO-WAVE. These can be individually cut to size, are height adjustable and are shipped with two matching end caps.
The pre-adhered elasticated KERDI collar integrated into the drain adapter ensures the reliable connection of the drain body to the bonded waterproofing assembly, both in the floor area and on upright walls. It is secured by a transparent protective lid during installation.
In conjunction with the waterproofing systems Schlüter-KERDI, Schlüter-DITRA, Schlüter-DITRA-HEAT or Schlüter-KERDI-BOARD and the matching system adhesives Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or Schlüter-KERDI-FIX, installers can create certified bonded waterproofing assemblies with connecting linear drainage. KERDI-LINE is a system component that complies with the German waterproofing standard DIN 18534. Together with the above-listed Schlüter-Systems it has general technical approval (abP) in Germany.
Please refer to the respective product data sheets for information about the moisture exposure classes according to abP. Schlüter-KERDI-LINE is a system component with European Technical Assessment (ETA) according to ETAG 022 (watertight covering kits). Schlüter products tested together with KERDI-LINE bear the CE mark.
Due to the variable drain construction, KERDI-LINE-VARIO requires the installation of a sloped screed. The surface of the screed must be waterproofed with DITRA (see product data sheet 6.1) or DITRA-HEAT (see product data sheet 6.4). Schlüter-SHOWERPROFILE-S and -R (see product data sheet 14.1) are supplementary components for creating a floor or wall connection. SHOWERPROFILE-S has a triangular design to conceal the sloped lateral edges of floor level showers. Waterproof the surrounding walls with KERDI (see product data sheet 8.1) or create a bonded waterproofing assembly with KERDI-BOARD (see product data sheet 12.1).
For soundproofing as specified in DIN 4109, VDI 4100, ÖNORM B 8115-2 or SIA 181, the Schlüter-KERDI-LINE-SR sound insulation panel complies with impact sound, installation noise and user noise limits in certified assembly variants of KERDI-LINE-VARIO.
How to install this product
Installation of KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H40
- Position the KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H40 drain body and adapter in the centre of the weight-bearing structure or over the supplied 4 mm sound insulation membrane (over a suitable impact sound insulation layer if necessary; see section on soundproofing for further details). Note the materials label on the protective lid. For optimum alignment, insert the supplied spirit level in the corresponding groove of the protective lid.
- For direct installation at the wall in conjunction with the 4 mm sound insulation membrane supplied with the set, position the drain body and adapter with the protective lid and the membrane immediately in front of the adjacent wall. This establishes a defined distance of 11 mm from the adjacent wall (not including the wall covering) when the WAVE profile is used. If using COVE profiles, this results in a distance of 15 mm from the wall in combination with the sound insulation membrane. To achieve a distance of only 11 mm from the wall, the sound insulation membrane should be omitted when using COVE profiles. Alternatively, the difference can be offset with a suitable wall covering material, e.g. 5 mm Schlüter-KERDI-BOARD.
- For connection to the drainage pipe, use the supplied Allen key to open the clamping ring and align the drain body to match the site's structural layout.
- Check that the adapter is still fully inserted and re-tighten the clamping ring.
- Recheck the desired positioning after connecting the assembly to the drain pipe. For optimum alignment, the protective lid includes a round spirit level that can be inserted in the matching groove. In case of uneven surfaces or for height adjustment, you can also precisely position the drain body on a levelling layer.
- Perform a leak test.
- Install the sloped screed (2%) of the shower floor area to create a weight bearing assembly that completely encompasses the drain body. Use the screw-attached protective lid to aid with alignment and levelling. It must be flush with the top surface of the screed.
Installation of KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H50
- Position the KERDI-LINE-VARIO-H50 drain body on the weight-bearing structure or over the supplied 4 mm sound insulation membrane. For optimum alignment, insert the supplied spirit level into the corresponding groove of the drain body. Cut the drain adapter to size, matching the height of the floor assembly, and position it on the drain body. To allow for height adjustment of coverings with insulation, cut the drain adapter in such a way that it does not directly sit on the drain body.
- For direct installation at the wall in conjunction with the 4 mm sound insulation membrane supplied with the set, position the drain body and adapter with the protective lid and the membrane immediately in front of the adjacent wall (note centre marking on the protective lid). This establishes a defined distance of 11 mm from the adjacent wall (not including the wall covering) when using Schlüter-WAVE profiles. In the case of Schlüter-COVE profiles, this results in a distance of 15 mm from the wall in combination with the sound insulation membrane. To achieve a distance of only 11 mm or less from the wall, the sound insulation membrane should be omitted when using Schlüter-COVE profiles. Alternatively, the difference can be offset with a suitable wall covering, e.g. 5 mm Schlüter-KERDI-BOARD.
- For connection to the drainage pipe, align the drain body to match the site's structural layout.
- Check the fit between the adapter and drain body and re-tighten the clamping ring.
- Recheck the desired positioning after connecting the assembly to the drain pipe. The optionally available attachment set enables fixed attachment to the supporting structure. For optimum alignment, the drain body includes a round spirit level that can be inserted in the matching groove.
- Perform a leak test.
- Remove the spirit level prior to installing the screed. Install the sloped screed (2%) of the shower floor area to create a weight bearing assembly that completely encompasses the drain body. Use the screw-attached protective lid to aid with alignment and levelling. It must be flush with the top surface of the screed.
Installation of coverings
- Remove the protective lid once the screed surface is ready to bear weight and cut off the sound insulation membrane at the proper height. Apply cementitious tile adhesive to amend any flaws in the screed.
- Now use cementitious tile adhesive to firmly adhere DITRA (recommended notched trowel size: 3 x 3 mm or 4 x 4 mm) or DITRA-HEAT (recommended notched trowel size 6 x 6 mm) to the screed surface. Tiles adhered over DITRA or DITRA-HEAT must have a size of at least 5 x 5 cm (see also product data sheet 6.1 or 6.4).
- To attach the KERDI collar, apply the sealing adhesive KERDI-COLL-L (see product data sheet 8.4) to the adjoining waterproofing assembly, using a 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 mm notched trowel (10) and fully embed the KERDI collar in the adhesive. The curing time of the adhesive must be observed.
- Create and tightly seal the wall connections with KERDI-KEBA sealing tapes and KERDI-COLL-L.
- Apply covering materials such as tiles or natural stone (with covering thicknesses to match the selected drainage profile).
- Cut the drainage profile to size with a suitable handsaw to match the structural requirements on site, using the supplied cutting gauge (do not use an angle cutter) and de-burr the cut. The grooves at the drain adapter and the adapter washer as well as on the profile extensions aid with optimum measuring precision.
- The set includes two end caps to create a simple and elegant finish.
- The aluminium profiles COVE and WAVE in the slim version come with an adapter washer, which is fitted precisely over the drain adapter in advance, using cementitious tile adhesive. Adjust the height of the drainage profile by filling with cementitious tile adhesive in such a way that it is flush with or just slightly below the covering surface. For optimum load transfer, make sure to avoid all cavities when embedding the drainage profile with mortar, particularly in the area of the drain opening.
KERDI-LINE-VARIO can also be installed in suspended timber floor substrates. Please contact us for further details. KERDI-LINE-VARIO drainage profiles are intended for positioning in the wall and intermediate floor areas. We don't recommend installing them in the entry area of shower surfaces.
What this product is made from
The wave-shaped drain and drain adapter are made of high impact resistant polypropylene (PP).
The KERDI waterproofing collar that is pre-adhered at the drain adapter for connecting to the bonded waterproofing assembly (see product data sheet 8.1) is made of a polyethylene membrane.
The clamping ring at the wave-shaped drain is made from coloured polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
The protective lid is made of transparent acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS).
Material properties and areas of application
Schlüter-KERDI-LINE-VARIO drainage systems are classified as K3 according to DIN EN 1253, Gullies for buildings. This class refers to areas without vehicle traffic. Apart from the aluminium version of the WAVE profile, all drainage profiles are able to withstand wheelchair use.
KERDI-LINE-VARIO drainage profiles are available in a wide variety of materials and finishes. Product suitability must be verified in applications exposed to chemical or mechanical stresses. The information provided below is intended as a general guideline.
The drainage profiles COVE and WAVE in the brushed stainless steel V4A version (material no. 1.4404 = AISI 316L) are particularly well suited for applications that, in addition to heavy mechanical stresses, require resistance to chemicals such as acidic or alkaline media and detergents. Their application areas include bathrooms in apartments, nursing homes, hotels and schools as well as public washroom and shower facilities. Even stainless steel is not resistant to all chemical stresses, and may be affected by e.g. hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations. In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore be verified in advance.
The COVE and WAVE drainage profiles made of aluminium (textured coated aluminium) feature surfaces with a natural appearance. The aluminium is pre-treated (anodised) and powder-coated with a polyurethane covering. The colour-stable coating is UV and weather-resistant. Their application areas include bathrooms in apartments, nursing homes or hotels. Visible edges should be protected against abrasion.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
The set includes a special cleaning brush and cleaning cloths with instructions for simple periodic cleaning of the drainage channel and the drain area. Please refer to the cleaning instructions for further details
All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion.
This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of mortar residue. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.