Angular finishing profile
Schlüter-BARA-RW is an angular proﬁle of stainless steel or high-quality, colour-coated aluminium. It is used for ﬁnishing the exposed perimeters of balconies and terraces. BARA-RW provides a visually elegant and neat finishing edge while protecting the exposed screed edges from deterioration and the weather.
- Radius perforation
What this product does
The Schlüter-BARA-RW edging profile is solidly embedded into the thin-bed mortar and integrated into the bonded waterproof layer.
BARA-RW is also suited for the renovation of balconies and terraces if the tiles are to be installed onto the existing substrate using the thin-bed method.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-BARA-RW according to the height of the floor assembly to be covered. Prefabricated corners are available for external corners. Abut the profile ends with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors.
- Fully embed the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of the BARA-RW profile into the contact layer of thin-bed mortar, and cover completely.
- The Schlüter-DITRA waterproofing membrane should abut the edge of the profile. Apply the sealing band Schlüter-KERDI-KEBA to create the connection to the profile. The sealing band must be adhered with an overlap of at least 5 cm over DITRA and to the angled edge of BARA-RW, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
Note: Lay the tile in such a way that it protrudes approximately 10 mm over the edge of the profile. If a balcony border tile is to be used, keep a space of at least 10 mm between the vertical leg of the trim and the edge profile. The drip lip cannot prevent the dripping water from coming into contact with the front edge or the wall area in all cases.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-BARA-RW is available in the following materials:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
- E = stainless steel V2A, material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304
Material properties and areas of application
BARA-RW-AC (colour-coated aluminium): The coil coating of the aluminium profile is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion. No water should be allowed to collect in the thin adhesive layer in which the profile is embedded, since alkaline water may corrode the aluminium.
BARA-RW-E is made of roll formed V2A stainless steel (material no. 1.4301). Stainless steel is particularly well suited for applications that, in addition to heavy mechanical stresses, require resistance to chemicals such acidic or alkaline media and detergents. Even stainless steel is not resistant to all chemical stresses, and may be affected by hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid or certain chloride and brine concentrations.
In certain cases, this also applies to seawater pools. Special anticipated stresses should therefore be verified in advance.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RW requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is colour-stable. Damage to the surface can be restored with paint.
The surfaces of stainless steel profiles can be polished with commercial chrome-polishing products. Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion.
All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of mortar residue.
We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.