Schlüter-TREP-V Visually appealing, guideline-compliant stair nosing profile
"Beautifully safe": TREP-V stands out for its functionalities and visual appeal. The aluminium stair nosing profile is available in two sizes (42/12 mm and 60/32 mm) and seven colours, including matte graphite black, nut brown and light grey. These colours not only look great, but can also serve as a guideline-compliant contrast to adjoining floor coverings to provide extra safety for visually impaired people.
Speaking of safety, the textured surface of the replaceable plastic tread with slip-resistant effect in all directions provides effective protection against tripping and also prevents dirt from accumulating. The stair nosing profile can be installed with tiles of different thicknesses by embedding the anodised anchoring leg in the adhesive to ensure that the profile is flush with the floor covering.
General product information
What this product does
Schlüter-TREP-V are special aluminium stair nosing profiles with a reversible slip resistant PVC tread insert.
The profiles are suitable for the safe and visually appealing design of barrier free stairs with tiled or natural stone coverings, but can also be installed in screeds or other coating materials.
TREP-V are fitted with specially textured, slip resistant treads. That makes them especially suitable for use in areas subjected to heavy foot traffic, such as offices or public buildings. The profiles are also a suitable choice in private homes due to their appealing design. The treads can be subsequently replaced in case of damage or wear. The slip resistance properties of TREP-V inserts were tested according to DIN EN 16165 and classified as R10. Matching end caps are available as accessories.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-TREP-V according to the tile thickness.
- First, install the riser coverings to the appropriate height.
- Apply a suitable tile adhesive to the edge area above the step riser.
- Fill the hollow spaces on the underside of the profile with suitable tile adhesive. Note for steps 3 and 4: In case of thicker adhesive layers in the edge area, it may be necessary to add sand to the dry-setting thin bed adhesive in accordance with manufacturer instructions or to use a medium bed mortar.
- Embed TREP-V fully into the adhesive bed and align the profile in such a way that the front edge of the support section is flush with the riser tile.
- Completely cover the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg and the tread of the stair step with tile adhesive.
- Solidly embed the horizontal tiles and align them flush with the top edge of the profile. Full coverage must be obtained between the tile and the profile’s anchoring leg. The profile may slightly protrude or be recessed in the area of the riser tile to offset dimensional variations in the covering material. The profile should not be higher than the tiled surface on the tread, but rather up to approx. 1 mm lower.
- Leave a joint of approx. 2 mm between the tile and the profile.
- Fill the joint completely with grout. Cover the non slip tread with a suitable adhesive tape before applying grout.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-TREP-V comprise aluminium support sections that are fitted with a tread insert consisting of a rigid PVC base section and a soft PVC slip resistant surface.
The support section includes a trapezoid perforated anchoring leg for installing the profile in freshly installed tile adhesive or epoxy resin.
In the case of TREP-V 42/12, the insert has a visible width of 42 mm at tread tiles and 12 mm at riser tiles, while TREP-V 60/32 features a visible width of 60 mm at the tread tiles and 32 mm at the riser tiles. The luminosity values or reflectance and luminance factor required for calculating visual contrast according to DIN 32975 were determined in a laboratory for the seven different colours of the tread insert (see Technical data). Our working aid contains additional information for calculating visual contrast.
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of a profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-TREP-V are resistant to the chemical stresses commonly encountered in tiled coverings on stairs or steps. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media.
Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Since aluminium is sensitive to alkaline substances, exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and time of exposure) may result in corrosion. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material and that all cavities are filled to prevent the accumulation of alkaline water. The support sections and treads of TREP-V differ in their thermal expansion.
Abutting profiles should therefore be aligned with the joints of the adjacent covering if necessary. The profiles are exclusively suitable for use in interior spaces.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-TREP-V requires no special maintenance or care. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. The tread insert can be replaced in case of damage or wear.
Damage to the anodised surface can be restored with paint. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid and may not be overly alkaline.