Brushed stainless steel stair nosing profile
Schlüter-TREP-G and -GL are brushed stainless steel stair-nosing profiles with an adhered slip-resistant tread. The profiles are suitable for the safe and visually appealing design of stairs with tiled or natural stone coverings, but can also be used with screed or other coating materials.
What this product does
Schlüter-TREP-G with a special slip-resistant tread (slip resistance class R11) made of a coloured mineral grain tape is particularly suitable for applications in areas with heavy foot traffic e.g. business premises or public buildings.
Schlüter-TREP-GL with a special slip-resistant tread (slip resistance class R10) made of textured plastic is suitable for residential settings or areas with low foot traffic.
The stair-nosing profiles protect the front edge of stairs and add a high degree of safety due to the slip-resistant design of the tread and the excellent visibility of the steps. The slip-resistant treads are adhered to an indentation in the support profile to ensure that the edges of the adhesive tape are reliably protected.
The treads can be subsequently replaced in case of damage or wear. Matching end caps are available as accessories.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-TREP-G / -GL according to the tile thickness.
- Align the covering material at the riser.
- Apply a suitable tile adhesive to the edge area above the step riser.
- Fill the hollow spaces on the underside of the profile with suitable tile adhesive.
Note for steps 3 and 4: In case of thicker adhesive layers in the edge area, it may be necessary to add sand to the dry-setting tile adhesive in accordance with manufacturer instructions or to use a medium bed mortar.
- Full embed Schlüter-TREP-G/ -GL into the adhesive bed and align the profile in such a way that the front edge of the profile covers the riser tiles.
- Trowel additional setting material over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg and the tread of the stair step to ensure full coverage.
- Solidly embed the horizontal tiles and align them flush with the top edge of the profile. Full coverage must be obtained between the tile and the profile’s anchoring leg.
- A joint of approx. 2 mm should be left between the tile and the profile.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout. Prior to the application of grout, cover the slip-resistant tread with a suitable adhesive tape.
- When integrating TREP-G/ -GL into screed layers, fully embed the profile in the mortar and cover the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg with at least 15 mm of screed mortar.
Changing the slip-resistant tread
When changing the slip-resistant tread, ensure the surrounding temperature is at least 10 °C.
- Remove all residue of the previous self-adhesive tape.
- Prior to attaching the new tape, clean the surface of the profile with a solvent.
- Peel back approx. 5 cm of the protective liner and position the self-adhesive tape on the surface of the profile. Avoid touching the adhesive with your fingers.
- Peel the protective liner back further and gradually install the full length of the tape.
- Use a rubber roller to firmly press the self-adhesive tape into place. Always begin from the centre and roll toward the edges.
What this product is made from
The profiles are available in the following material:
- EB = brushed stainless steel V2A (material no. 1.4301 = AISI 304)
The profiles include an adhered slip-resistant tread: Schlüter-TREP-G/ -GK made of embedded mineral grit (R11), TREP-GL/ -GLK made of textured plastic (R10).
Material properties and areas of application
The suitability of the selected profile type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-TREP-G /-GL are particularly well suited for applications that, in addition to heavy mechanical stresses, require resistance to chemicals such acidic or alkaline media or detergents.
The profiles are designed for internal and external areas. However, please note that the transparent tread only has limited UV resistance and is intended for indoor use only.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
The profiles require no special maintenance or care.
Regular removal of dirt and other residue (e.g. with a scrubbing brush) is recommended to maintain the slip-resistant function of the tread. Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. We recommend the use of the stainless steel cleaning polish Schlüter-CLEAN-CP.
Avoid contact with other metals, such as regular steel, to prevent corrosion. This also includes installation tools such as trowels or steel wool, e.g. for the removal of adhesive or grout residue.
Self-adhesive tape is available as an accessory for subsequent replacement in case of damage or wear.
The tape may also be installed for other purposes at the discretion and responsibility of the installer.