To make completely individual colour wishes come true, our new Schlüter-MyDesign series now goes even further: Selected profiles, SHELF shelves and accessories are available in 190 RAL Classic colour shades - for even greater design freedom with that certain "colourful" something!
Balcony edge profile with drip lip
Schlüter-BARA-RAK is a colour-coated aluminium edge profile with a drip lip. It is designed for the exposed edges of balconies and terraces that have an existing sloped screed.
BARA-RAK can be ordered in colours individually chosen by you. Choose from 190 MyDesign RAL colours to add a touch of colour to your balcony or terrace.
To give the exterior perimeter of tiled areas a high-quality appearance, we recommend our profiles Schlüter-RONDEC and Schlüter-JOLLY.
- MyDesign RAL color
What this product does
Schlüter-BARA-RAK results in a clean edge finish and protects the open screed edges from weather and corrosion.
The trapezoid perforated anchoring leg of BARA-RAK is attached along the edge of the screed bed using an appropriate thin-bed adhesive.
The groove in the protruding bonding flange allows for the use of Schlüter-RONDEC or Schlüter-JOLLY edge protection profiles in the same colour as the balcony finishing profiles.
Schlüter-DITRA can be integrated as a bonded waterproofing assembly. Other options for waterproofing include trowel-applied bonded waterproofing compounds or waterproofing layers compliant with DIN 18531.
How to install this product
- As an edge finishing profile, Schlüter-BARA-RAK is embedded into the thin-bed mortar setting material with the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg aligned at the edge of the screed. Completely cover the anchoring leg with mortar.
- Schlüter-DITRA must abut the profile edge. Apply the sealing band Schlüter-KERDI to create the connection to the profile.
The sealing band must be adhered with an overlap of at least 5 cm over DITRA, covering the entire anchoring leg to the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange of BARA-RAK, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX. The tiles may now be set in a thin adhesive bed while observing the manufacturer’s instructions (see product information for Schlüter-DITRA). The edge of the covering assembly should be approximately flush with the drip lip of BARA-RAK. If using RONDEC or JOLLY finishing profiles, apply tile adhesive on Schlüter-KERDI-KEBA and fully embed the profile in the adhesive.
- If using a trowel-applied waterproofing compound, integrate BARA-RAK into the waterproofing system by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area. Make sure to continue the waterproofing assembly over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange. Observe the manufacturer’s instructions for installing waterproof compounds.
- If using a waterproofing assembly according to DIN 18531, adhere BARA-RAK to the sloped screed by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area with a suitable tile adhesive. Apply a gradient layer in the transition area from the screed to the anchoring leg to avoid weakening the sloped screed near the edge. Make sure to continue the waterproofing assembly over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange and to seal it tightly in this area.
- In case of waterproofing assemblies according to DIN 18531, the further structure of the covering either consists of applying a drainage membrane, followed by installing a load-distribution or gravel layer, or of stilted coverings constructed from large-scale pavers. The applicable regulations must be observed in both cases.
Note: Prefabricated corners and connectors are available to create internal and external corners. Abut the profile ends of BARA-RAK with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors. If using an edge protection profile, cut the connector at the intended breakage point and adhere it to the edge profile with silicone.
The applicable instructions and installation guidelines for the relevant covering assemblies must be observed. All utilised materials must be weather-resistant, waterproof and suitable for outdoor areas.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following material version:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
The coating of the aluminium profile is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion.
In special cases, the suitability of Schlüter-BARA-RAK must be verified based on the anticipated chemical and mechanical stresses.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RAK requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is UV-resistant and colour-stable. Damaged visible surfaces can be restored with paint.