Balcony edge support profile with drip lip
Schlüter-BARA-RTKE is an edge proﬁle with a drip lip for installation over finished sloped screeds. The perforated outer edges make the profile especially suited for assemblies with our bonded drainage mat Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN. At the same time, the outer edges give the exterior perimeter of tiled areas a neat appearance.
Our Schlüter-BARIN gutter system can be attached to BARA-RTKE.
What this product does
Schlüter-BARA-RTKE is a finishing profile for exposed edges of covering assemblies on balconies and terraces with existing sloped screeds.
BARA-RTKE is especially suited for assemblies with the bonded drainage mat Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN. The perforated outer edges give the exterior perimeter of tiled areas a neat appearance.
The profile also covers the exposed edges of the bonded drainage assembly DITRA-DRAIN below the covering. The cross section of the profile openings is sufficiently large to guarantee drainage and ventilation.
BARA-RTKE is installed in the edge area by adhering the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg with a dry setting thin-bed tile adhesive.
To create a bonded waterproofing assembly, attach Schlüter-KERDI with the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L, fully covering the perforated anchoring leg and the bonding flange. If using trowel-applied chemical materials for bonded waterproofing, follow the installation instructions of the respective manufacturer.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-BARA-RTKE according to the tile thickness.
- As an edge finishing and gutter attachment profile (for Schlüter-BARIN), BARA-RTKE is embedded into the thin-bed mortar setting material with the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg aligned at the edge of the screed. Completely cover the anchoring leg with mortar.
- Adhere Schlüter-KERDI over the entire anchoring leg to the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange of BARA-RTKE, using the sealing adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-COLL-L or the installation adhesive Schlüter-KERDI-FIX.
- If using a trowel-applied waterproofing compound, integrate BARA-RTKE into the waterproofing system by installing the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg in the exposed edge area. Make sure to continue the waterproofing membrane over the undercut profile of the protruding bonding flange.
If using bonded waterproofing systems, observe the installation instructions of the respective manufacturer.
- Adhere the bonded drainage membrane Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN on the bonded waterproofing assembly, making sure to continue the membrane to below the joint spacer integrated in the profile. The 23 mm profile height is also suitable for use with DITRA-DRAIN 8. It must be ensured that the drainage space is not fully closed, including during the installation of the covering materials.
- The tiles can then be applied directly using the thin-bed method, observing the installation instructions (see product data sheet for Schlüter-DITRA-DRAIN). Maintain a proper joint between the tiles and the anchoring leg of BARA-RTKE, to be filled with suitable elastomeric sealing compound.
- Once the covering is fully installed, the gutter system can be attached to the BARA profile, using the supplied screws. The elongated holes allow for attaching the gutters at a slope.
Note: Prefabricated corners and connectors are available to create internal and external corners. Abut the profile ends of BARA-RTKE with a joint of approx. 5 mm and conceal the joint with snap-on connectors, using the installation adhesive KERDI-FIX.
The applicable instructions and installation guidelines for the relevant covering assemblies must be observed.
All utilised materials must be weather-resistant, waterproof and suitable for outdoor areas.
What this product is made from
The profiles are available in the following material version:
- AC = colour-coated aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
The coating of the aluminium profiles is colour-stable as well as UV- and weather-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion.
In special cases, the suitability of Schlüter-BARA-RTKE must be verified based on the anticipated chemical and mechanical stresses.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-BARA-RTKE requires no special maintenance or care. The coated surface of the aluminium profile is UV-resistant and colour-stable. Damaged visible surfaces can be restored with paint.