Finishing profile without joint spacer
Schlüter-SCHIENE-BASIC is a finishing profile for tile coverings or other rigid covering materials with a right angled transition from the anchoring leg to the finishing leg and a right angle head design.
Note: SCHIENE-BASIC has no joint spacer.
- Also available in 3 m
How to install this product
- Select the profile height according to the tile thickness and the installation method.
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where the tile covering will end, using a notched trowel.
- Press the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of the profile firmly into the adhesive and align it.
- Trowel additional tile adhesive over the trapezoid perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage.
- Fully embed the adjoining tiles and adjust them in such a way that the upper lip of the profile is flush with the tile.
Note: The profile should not be higher than the tiled surface, but rather up to approx. 1 mm lower.
- The tile is set to the lateral joint spacer, which creates an evenly spaced joint of 1.5 mm. In the case of profiles without joint spacer, a joint of approx. 1.5 mm is recommended.
- Completely fill the space between the tile and the profile with grout.
What this product is made from
The profile is available in the following finishes:
- M = brass
- A = aluminium
- AE = anodised aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of materials must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schlüter-SCHIENE-BASIC-M are profiles made of brass. Minor manufacturing flaws are unavoidable on their untreated surfaces. They are suitable for absorbing high mechanical stresses, e.g. as an edge protection for movement joints in industrial floor coverings with conveyor traffic. Brass is resistant to virtually all chemicals used in conjunction with tile coverings.
Brass that is exposed to air will oxidise, resulting in a natural patina. Exposure to moisture or aggressive substances may result in heavy oxidation and staining at the surface.
Schlüter-SCHIENE-BASIC-A are profiles made of aluminium. Technically, these are so-called semi-finished products, in which minor manufacturing traces also cannot be avoided. The suitability of the profiles should be reviewed based on the anticipated chemical stresses. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Since aluminium is sensitive to alkaline substances, exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and time of exposure) may result in corrosion (aluminium hydroxide formation). For this reason, remove adhesive or grouting material immediately from all visible areas and do not cover freshly installed coverings until the adhesive and grout have dried. Solidly embed the profile in the setting material to prevent alkaline water from accumulating in small cavities.
Schlüter-SCHIENE-BASIC-AE, made of anodised aluminium, has an anodised surface finish that will not change under normal circumstances. The finish may be damaged by aggressive substances or abrasive stresses. The surface, however, is susceptible to scratching and wear and may be damaged by tile adhesive, mortar, or grouting material. Therefore, setting materials must be removed immediately. Otherwise, the description regarding aluminium applies.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
The profile requires no special maintenance or care. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. Oxidation films on brass or aluminium may be removed with a common polishing agent; however, they do reoccur. Damaged anodised surfaces can be restored with paint.