Decorative finishing profile with joint spacer
Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP is a finishing profile made of anodised aluminium for tile coverings. The profile, which is available in different heights, has various applications and is particularly suitable for kitchen countertops as well as shelving and stairs with ceramic tile coverings.
In stair installations, SCHIENE-STEP is intended for residential or similar interior applications with low foot traffic. Its geometry offers optimal protection of the stair nosing along with good visibility and a high level of safety.
How to install this product
- Select Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP according to the tile thickness.
- Apply tile adhesive to the area where the perforated anchoring leg will be placed, using a notched trowel.
- Press the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP firmly into the adhesive and align it.
- Trowel additional tile adhesive over the perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage.
- Firmly press the adjoining tiles into place and align them in such a way that the upper profile edge is flush with the tile (the profile should not protrude over the surface of the covering; preferably, it should be approx. 1 mm below the top level of the covering). The tiles must be fully embedded in the area of the profile.
- The tile is set to the lateral joint spacer, which creates an evenly spaced joint of 1.5 mm. In the case of stainless steel profiles, a joint of approx. 1.5 mm is recommended.
- Use suitable materials and tools for the sensitive surfaces to avoid scratches or other damage. Residue of grout and tile adhesive should be removed immediately.
What this product is made from
Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP is available in the following materials:
- AE = anodised aluminium
Material properties and areas of application
In special cases, the suitability of the material type must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses. The information provided below is intended as a general guideline.
Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP-AE (anodised aluminium): The aluminium features an anodised finish that retains a uniform appearance during normal use. Surface areas must be protected against abrasion or scratching. Aluminium is sensitive to alkaline media. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Depending on the concentration and duration of exposure, this may result in corrosion (aluminium hydroxide formation).
For this reason, remove adhesive or grouting material immediately from all visible areas and do not cover freshly installed coverings with foil.
In addition, ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material to prevent water from accumulating in small cavities.
Maintenance & Care
How to look after this product
Schlüter-SCHIENE-STEP requires no special maintenance or care. Do not use abrasive cleaning agents on the sensitive surfaces. Damaged anodised surfaces can be restored with paint.